Well, the saga continues. Granted, in doglette training (doglette = little dog) the amount of time we spent on their housetraining is incredibly minimal – we’ve only had them for about 2.5 months. We try not to get entirely frustrated with the process, remembering that it takes time; but some days we pause for a moment, sidle up close to a wall, and bang our heads repeatedly.

Somehow, the whole housetraining thing has eluded us like two doglettes wrapped in an enigma.

Of course most of the time it’s an exercise in humor. Oh, yes, we laugh and laugh and laugh while on all fours with a rag in one hand and the spray bottle of cleaner in the other, repeatedly scrubbing the spot where they pinched a loaf while we weren’t looking… *sigh* Oh, yes. Har-har-HARdee-har-har…

Yes, that was sarcasm.

So every time we have a little accident, we reset the clock back to zero and start all over. Our goal is to simply reach 2 weeks without an accident – is that too much to ask? Once we can go 2 weeks without problems, we can start letting them out of their kennel at night. The problem is, we can’t seem to get past the 1-week mark – and just when we think we’re finally doing something right – BAM – we find a lovely gift in some corner.

They’re very good in their kennel, and I’m glad to say have never only recently had an accident tinkled in there. We’ve learned that the moment we take them out of their kennel, they immediately go outside to do their business (without delay). Normally, when we’re on our regular schedule, they are in their kennel for about 9.5 hours (they go in when I go to work, and I take them out after I get home from work. If we have any appointments that would delay our coming home, I’ll run home during the day to take them out for a bit to break it up for them (and to spend some time with them).

If nothing more, it’s really deepened our hunting techniques. If one of them sneaks anywhere out of our sight for a second – then comes back quickly – we tear into every corner and scour it all, looking for something they may have left behind. Again, our goal is to be able to leave them in a room unsupervised without an accident or something being destroyed.

We gave it a try one day, and came close. As an experiment, I decided to not put them in their kennel or take them with me while I went to pick up the hubby from the train station after work. This would give them a short, 20- or 30-minute span of time to be left alone in the house. As soon as we arrived back home, the doglettes greeted us with great enthusiasm, and we began our house-hunt, searching every nook and cranny to make sure there were no little gifts tucked away anywhere. The first floor was without such gifts, and a scan of the second floor yielded the same result. The hubby went to the third floor to check that one out, and the girls joined him as I went back down to the first floor. Hubby called down to me that all was clear on the third floor, and headed toward the steps to come down – then he cried out, “Dixie! No!

I panicked for a brief moment. I didn’t know what was happening. Why did he cry out? Did Dixie hurt herself? Was she being ornery? The truth quickly came: just as they were ready to walk down from the third floor, Dixie – without warning – squatted and began pinching. Hubby’s cry stopped her, but not until she’d already dropped 2 little diamonds.

*Sigh* Clock reset.